Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bird field guide app





I think I am the last person on the planet to get an ipad, but finally I bought one.  My main motivation was to enjoy some of the apps I have been hearing about.  But also, there is the fact that since my husband joined the 21st century (just recently), I have not been able to get on the computer we share..




One of the first apps I explored was an app for bird field identification called
ibird.  I only spent a few minutes with the free app to realize I need to spend the
money and download one that cost about the same as a field guide.

First, I tried the search feature and put in features I knew about owls from this area--particularly the great horned and barred.  When that came up with no matches (this is the frustrating part for any on line search for i.d. in my experience), I decided to see which owls were in the app.  It turns out that there were only 2 owls in this version--the barn and short earred; neither are that common in my area.
File:Female Barn Owl 4 (6942358307).jpg
from wikimedia

 I decided that is the tactic--don't include the most common birds in the free version so the for sale version will sell.  That being said, I will probably buy the for sale version.  There are features that I really like, such as the audio, and can see that it would really be useful. 

Audio (and the information about the songs) was what I was looking for.  I have been hearing both great horned and barred owls every night at my home.  It seems the great horned are calling earlier in the evening followed by a break and then the calls of the barred (my favorite).  I was wondering if this were always the case and something that has been noted by others??

http://www.arkive.org/great-horned-owl/bubo-virginianus/

I can't wait to download the full version and start enjoying all that I can learn from the app.  Ahh, it's good to be living in the 21st century.

2 comments:

  1. Great! I think you will find many uses for the iPad in the outdoors. My friends ask me what they heard while walking in the woods and I have them provide some descriptions then I have used IBird to let them listen to my best guesses until we hit upon the bird they heard. It has been a great value to me and I don't have to carry the book with me all the time.

    I hope you enjoy your new tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it will help as I am birding. Hopefully I will discover other uses in the outdoors. I love learning new things and this tool is just a start.

    ReplyDelete