Friday, March 14, 2014

Subtle Signs of Spring

Last week, after a long hard winter, I noticed some subtle signs of spring which brought hope that this winter would soon be over.

It seems the birds are the first to know spring is near.  One evening last week, snow geese flew overhead.  They had been flying back and forth to the fields to feed all winter, but this time was different.  They were flying much higher than normal.  Their migration north had begun, but I was left with questions.  Why did they leave so late?  Normally they leave sometime in mid February, but here it was, one week into March and they were finally heading to their summer breeding grounds in Canada and points north.  Did the harsh winter have something to do with it?  It is thought that day length is the cue to migrate, but there must be other cues as well.  Perhaps the geese were delayed due to snow covered fields that did not allow enough weight gain to take on this long journey.

As I watched the geese leave I wondered, which bird was the first to decide to leave?  And why did they wait until nearly sunset to head out?  My husband postulated that it was the female who nagged the male all day until he finally decided to go!  I think that is a bit anthropomorphic.  And will they travel just a short way and stop, or will they fly on through the night?  Their behavior bothered me because I would never leave on a long journey just when nightfall was descending.  I guess I was being anthropomorphic too. 

But these nagging questions prodded me to research the migration.  But I found no answers.  I'm just left with the silent hours now that the noisy flocks have left.

This mystery reminds me of the poem by Rachel Field, "Something Told the Wild Geese".
                                   Something told the wild geese
                                   It was time to go.
                                   Though the fields lay golden
                                   Something whispered, "Snow".

This time, I think the whispering was "Spring". 

Will my questions ever be answered?  It doesn't matter as long as the migration of the geese brings the hope of spring  soon to come.  Subtle signs that bring great hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment