Thursday, May 22, 2014

Three Generations of Bug Lovers

On my granddaughter's third birthday, I decided to expand her nature study beyond birds.  It was time to explore the world of insects.  So, I sent off a package of tools for insect study: a field guide, magnifier, and collection jar.  Simple.  Later in the evening, my daughter sent me a photo of what they found:
Even though I could not be there, I can imagine the squeals of joy as she found this praying mantis....right in her backyard.

That got me to thinking about the many times my husband and I would point out insects to our kids.  The insect world is so diverse and fascinating.  AND abundant in our big backyard in the country. We saw ant lions, wheel bugs, velvet ants, and many more.

And this fascination with the insects can be traced back another generation...to my own childhood.  Even though I grew up in a city, I remember catching fireflies on a summer's evening.  Great fun.

I can't wait to go bug hunting with my granddaughter on her next visit to the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment