Saturday, September 20, 2014

Catching a Thief

I love tomatoes more than any other food.  Which is why I was disturbed to see that "something" had been eating the tomatoes in my garden.  The suspects were many.  After all, we live in the middle of the woods full of squirrel, raccoon, opossum and others that would love such a free meal.  But it was not until one morning last week that I caught at least one of the culprits red-handed.


I had heard other gardeners lament the loss of tomatoes---one bite at a time--to turtles, but now I had proof.  In reading my field guides to reptiles and amphibians, box turtles are supposed to eat berries, fungi and a variety of invertebrates.  Someone should tell the turtle!

Of course these turtles are omnivores and like most animals will capitalize on any opportunity for a free meal.  In trying to determine what to do, I decided that next year I will plant more tomatoes---some for me and some for this thief and any others that may come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment