Thursday, May 10, 2012

Goose Behavior

Last week I was standing by the pond at the Bray Conservation Area watching the geese glide calmly along the pond.  The male and female were accompanied by their 5 newly hatched goslings.  Such a peaceful sight.





All this was to change in just one night.  The morning after I took this picture I returned to find the geese in a panic and no goslings in sight.  I knew, of course, that some predator--a coyote, raccoon or other opportunist, had taken the young in the night.  This is quite remarkable since I know from first hand experience how fiercely the parents defend the nest.
Sad as this must seem,  it is all a part of nature.  The predators must eat too.  However, I also thought of the silver lining-- now I won't have as many goose droppings to avoid when walking along the dam!




But that isn't the end of the story.  I was standing on the dam watching the geese a couple of days later and observed a behavior I had not seen before.  I watched both the male and female dip their heads into the water and bring their beaks up splashing water over their backs.  This odd behavior continued for several minutes.  Suddenly, I understood what was happening.  The male jumped on the back of the female, biting her neck while mating.  Maybe there will be goslings again soon and peace on the pond at Bray.


No comments:

Post a Comment