Sunday, May 6, 2012

Turtles on the Move

As I have been driving along the roads, I have noticed the usual uptick in box turtles on the road.  In fact, when the traffic allows, I try to stop and move the animal in its direction of travel.  Or I try to avoid the collision since these accidents are a big hazard for this animal's survival.  Turtles travel a lot this time of year within their established territories looking for food, water, or a mate!  After all, it is spring.
The other day, I found a box turtle in my yard--not unusual.  But usually when I approach a turtle, it retreats into its shell.  With the hinge closed shut, it is hard to observe the animal.  In this case, the turtle was eating and apparently did not want to retreat into its shell with the item and didn't want to drop it.
What was surprising to me was what the turtle was eating.  I know turtles eat lots of things: earthworms, plants, berries, mushrooms.  But this turtle was eating the remains of the unfortunate mouse that our cat had brought home!  As I approached, the turtle stopped but did not retreat into its shell.  I got closer, but the turtle did not move.
I returned to the house for just a few minutes.  When I returned, the animal was gone.  These turtles can move fairly fast--as I would have know had I recalled the story of the tortoise and the hare!


No comments:

Post a Comment