Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Nature of Nature is Change

This spring has been unusual for most parts of the U.S.  It is no different where I live.  Documenting these unusual times requires close observation and notetaking.  I'm not so good at the notetaking.  So, for me, I like to document changes with pictures.
Recently I visited a stream--a good place to watch the changes in nature.  Immediately, I noticed that the stream is much lower than last year.  So I went back to my photo archives, and yes, it is quite a bit lower this year.  The stream last year (above) had twice the flow rate as this year (below).





These differences are striking.  Which makes me ponder--how can the plants and animals that live in the water tolerate such changing conditions?  It is amazing and marvelous to observe.  I am reminded of the saying "Adapt or Die".  This certainly must be true for these creatures!

I am intent on putting in some picture posts to make it easier to go back to exactly the same places week after week, month after month, year after year to document these changes in a more thoughtful way in the future.  Go to picture post web site, http://picturepost.unh.edu/, to get ideas on how to build these photo stations.

What is certain: nature will change.  What we can do: observe and record those changes.  They are awe inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment